Trust in the Lord with all of your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths. Proverbs 3:5,6
Dead reckoning is the process of estimating one's current position based upon a previously determined position or fix, and advancing that position based upon known or estimated speeds over elapsed time and course. A disadvantage of dead reckoning is that since new positions are calculated solely from previous positions, the errors of the process are cumulative, so the error in the position fix grows with time.
So it is with the Christian trying to chart his course with God, he looks at his present position and tries to correct it based on where he is and where he thinks he ought to be. Dead reckoning is not used in navigation any more because it is not as accurate as our present day system of GPS and because there are many variables to consider when calculating one's course.
When one tries to use dead reckoning in his walk with God he must always look at his present circumstances and calculate the effects of all the winds and currents, not to mention the storms that can easily blow him off course. Sailing the seas of life can be very trying at times and charting your own course without His guidance can be dangerous.
"In the midst of this chopping sea of civilized life, such are the clouds and storms and quicksands and thousand-in-one items to be allowed for, that a man has to live, if he would not founder and go to the bottom and not make his port at all, by dead reckoning, and he must be a great calculator indeed who succeeds." Walden, Henry David Thoreau
GPS-GOD'S POSITIONING SYSTEM
In order for one to be directed by God there are steps to be taken to insure that it is truly Him and not ourselves doing the leading. Most people including myself are control-freaks, it is hard for me to let someone have control over my life but it is imperative that I relinquish that right and surrender to His leading. Only the Lord Jesus Christ can effectively lead and guide us to His desired destination.
1. TRUST- In the natural seafarers and aviators must trust their equipment to guide them to their desired destination. So it is with God, one must trust Him completely with all of his heart to receive the direction He is leading. In order to receive Divine direction from the Holy Spirit you must surrender your will and begin to develop a strong mutual bond with God through prayer and fellowship with Him.
2. DWELL- Live in the realm of the Kingdom of God and feed on the reality that He is faithful to provide for you and lead you into His desired will for your life. Abide in His word and give yourself totally to His charge and He will always be faithful to insure that all things will work for your good.
3. DELIGHT- Surrendering to the supernatural control of God can be fearful at first but once He proves Himself faithful and fully capable to manage your life you will receive great pleasure and contentment knowing that he truly cares for you. Once the decision is made to follow Him He will begin to give you His desires and they will fill your heart with joy and peace.
4. COMMIT- By literally rolling all of your problems over on Him and committing your life totally to Him, He will begin to bring clarity to your mind and lead you into all truth. God has a plan for all of us but we have to allow Him to reveal it to us in His timing. Once we realize that God truly wants to be involved in our lives, and not just on Sunday morning, our whole outlook on life will change.
5. REST- To rest in the Lord is to have released your life into His capable hands trusting Him to fulfill what you have committed to Him. When you were a child you trusted your parents to handle all the affairs of your life and you were at rest in your mind that they had your best interests in mind. So it is with God, He created us and knows us better than our own parents did and He truly knows whats best for us.
To sum up the reality of navigating the seas of life with the Captain of our soul, the Lord Jesus Christ we must take a hard look at the way we have charted our course in the past without Him. I know for my part directing my life without His guidance was at best a shipwreck, but as I grow older and release more and more into His hands I find that the peace of God begins to flow into my heart, and as I let go and let Him pilot the ship, I know it is well!
Your servant in Christ, Tim Laughlin
The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord, and He delights in his way, though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; for the Lord upholds him with His hand. Psalms 37:23,24